Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I read fast...

It's not so much that I read fast.  It's that I (usually) read three times a day.  So I only have 20 pages in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time left to read, and I don't want to post about it yet, and I will finish it tonight.  By the way, be forewarned!  Peter Pan is a children's book, so I didn't have to worry about offensive language in that (aside from that weird part when Barrie mentioned a fairy orgy in passing... well, that was a bit awkward), but The Curious Incident..., and probably just about everything else we'll read, is going to have some language or graphic images or violence or.. I don't know.  I mean, I am not going to put 50 Shades of Grey or anything on the reading list because... well for a lot of reasons, but one is that I think some people would be offended by the content and another is that I hear the actual writing is terrible.  No, I haven't read it myself, so if you feel the need to shout at me to give it a chance before knocking it, that is fine and you can rant yourself into a maniacal little spiel, but I'm still not going to read it. 

That said, I have about a billion books that I haven't read that are waiting on my bookshelf.  I'm an avid re-reader because I like knowing that I will like the book I'm reading.  However, this book blog is supposed to be something new and different and so I think it's time to read something new and different.  Please let me know which of these four books interests you the most.  I am in random selection mode and I've never read any of them, so there is no order of ranking or anything.  It's entirely up to you (as long as you vote within the next two days... otherwise I am choosing because I can't wait that long). 

Saving the World by Julia Alvarez (click here for description)

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (click here for description)

 
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (click here for description)

Or

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted by Elizabeth Berg (click here for description)


I think that's a pretty good mix and should cover a lot of bases as we have some historical type fiction, a thriller, a love story, and a book of short stories.  And these are just my observations from reviews.  No sci-fi this time, but I do have a few sci-fi books waiting to be read if anyone is interested in those! 

Remember, folks... I am not recommending books based on what I know.  I am just looking for what to read next.  I reserve the right to put it down and never pick it back up if I dislike it, but, in most cases, I'll try to pull through for you. 

Cast your votes!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore short stories! I also adore eating whatever I want! I don't know if I can find a copy here as the library is minuscule but I vote for that one and hope...

Missy said...

I vote for Stepford Wives. Although I don't remember very much of the movie, I do remember thinking it would be a good book to read as I watched it. :)

Loralee Violet said...

I've had a vote for Major Pettigrew's Last Stand on facebook as well. Three way tie. First one to get two votes will be the winner (which means Saving the World is still in the running if two people vote for it before the others get two!)

Unknown said...

I would vote for The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted!

Beth said...

My vote is for the Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted.

Post a Comment