Saturday, January 25, 2014

On to the next adventure!

Okay, my friends.  It has been long enough since we chose a new book and I have had a few people asking what's coming next.  I'm sorry guys.  I have been in a rut, feeling blue lately and just not motivated to start a new endeavor.  But you know what?  Reading makes me happy.  Even reading ridiculously sad books makes me happy.  Let's get on to the next adventure together!

As I mentioned on facebook, I am going to try something new: a giveaway!  I wanted to do a handmade crafty thing for my first giveaway but I am currently short on supplies.  Not only that, but my sister is having my very first nephew in May and I need to focus all crafting efforts on things for that awesome baby.  You know?  Okay, so I'm giving away a sweet, lovely, and teensy little journal.  I think it's great to carry one in your purse or car (or pocket!) to write down quotes you want to remember, last night's dreams, or notes on your current read for discussion here!  The journal I'm giving away looks like this:


Cute or what?  It has a black elastic closure band, too.  Love it!  So how do you win this sweet little blank book?  Easy peasy.  Just cast your vote on our next book!  And the choices are:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  This one was recommended to me by one of you!  It sounds like a very interesting read to me and I happened to find it cheap at Mr. K's Used Books :)  Check out the amazon synopsis here!






One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.  I know that I saw the film a while back and I think that I thought it was pretty good...  This book is very highly acclaimed, as is the movie.  If we read this one, I'm definitely going to give the movie another watch since I really don't remember very much about it.  Synopsis





The Secret History by Donna Tartt.  Here's that synopsis...  This one was a recommendation on NPR for adult Harry Potter fans.  You can check out that list here if you, like me, are a total Potterhead!


My final selection is Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok.  I found this one in the Barnes and Noble bargain section for like $5.00 and I had a gift card.  Bonus!  Call me lame, but I am using Amazon for all of the synopses because it's easy and they never give too much of the story away.  So, find a description of this novel here.



I haven't read any of the books before but I'm ready for whatever you pick!  Leave me a comment on which one sounds good to you and I will draw a name for the giveaway on Tuesday, January 28.  







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, they all sound interesting to me so I'll be happy with whatever book gets the vote! That said, my pick would be The Secret History. I hope I win!

Jenni said...

Girl in Translation.
Good job with using Amazon (totally helpful anyway).
Cute journal... totally understandable about wanting to use all your creativity for your nephew (congrats)!

Note: One Flew would be my second choice. I'd like to read the book before the movie (I didn't look at what it's about -- how I usually prefer to read books -- ha).

Missy said...

I vote for The Thirteenth Tale! The Secret History also sounds interesting, so I will have to keep an eye out for that one. Nice selection!

Loralee Violet said...

We'll read some or all of the others at some point. Apparently Girl in Translation is a pretty common bargain book, so be on the lookout for it! Jenni, it may be a cheap one on Kindle, too! I actually started to read it first because I had a feeling that it would be the book chosen (my feeling was wrong), but I liked what I read of it, so maybe we'll read it next.

How funny that The Thirteenth Tale had two votes as the number one choice and the others all had at least two of you say you'd be interested to read them! I'm excited to get back into the swing of things and hope you are, too!

Post a Comment