Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Delaying!

Hi friends!

I finished Lord of the Flies last week, but with Christmas fast approaching and pretty much everyone on my buy list being out of state, I am in a big rush to get finished up and ship everything.  So, forgive me but it may be a bit before I can get to that post.  It may be the week of Christmas or even after before I have any time! 

However, the good news is that I have also begun our next book:  Room by Emma Donoghue.

(Don't click to enter... this is from the book's site and won't work on my blog.  I just want you to see what it looks like so you can find it with better ease).

It is unlike anything I have ever read, so prepare yourself for different.  I'm enjoying it, though.  I didn't even really mean to start it properly.  What happened was that Kyle and I inherited a desk when his mama moved and we needed to find a place for it in our bitty house, so we had to do a good bit of furniture rearranging.  We ended up putting the desk in the hall and kind of declaring it an office, but this meant we had to move the huge armoire thing that was currently there into the guest room and moving the bookshelf that was in the guest room into the hall, and moving the record cabinet that was in the hall into my room (and it will need to be moved again, if I can find a nice place to out it)... Whew!  Then, I noticed the bookshelf had a few books on it that I didn't want, a few that I've had for years but never read, and a lot of space in the bottom if I moved some photo albums to the shelf on the desk.  And so book rearranging took place!  That is my favorite kind of rearranging.  So... all of my shelfless books that had been piled in the guestroom came out to see if they'd find a new home on the shelf, and some lucky ones did!  Of the ones that have been in my collection forever but have gone unread, I read the first page or so of each to decide if its likely hat I ever will read them, and some ended up being sent to the donation box.  Some were interesting/entertaining enough to make the cut.  Room  had been shelved before, but it was sort of out of place and I thought, "Why not read the first page of this one, too?"  The first page quickly became the first 15 or 16 pages, so that's how I knew it would have to be the next read.

You might be relieved to know that I am nearly giving up on taking notes as I go.  I didn't for Lord of the Flies, but I did place sticky notes in where I thought there was something worth mentioning and there really aren't tooooooo many to handle.  I feel that it will be the same way with Room.  I think it must be because I haven't/hadn't previously read these books so how could I know if something with foreshadowing significance had been said if I didn't know what was coming?  I mean, unless it is obvious.

So... I've got nothing else to say right now, but that it is great weather for snuggling up with a good book... that is, if you're not too busy getting your holiday plans in order!

0 comments:

Post a Comment