Thursday, October 3, 2013

Ehh

Ok folks.  You picked The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted so I'm reading it.  I hope that you are, too, if you are all caught up.  I know that there was some concern about finding this particular book in libraries, though if they participate in interlibrary loan, it will probably not be an issue.  My positively tiny library back in Ohio was able to get me books that I requested from other libraries if they did not happen to have the ones my heart desired.  I will be a complete hypocrite here and tell you to ask.  And I'm being a hypocrite because I am generally far too intimidated to ask questions in a public place.  I fear the judgment and shunning that might ensue if I asked how to use the equipment at the gym, for instance.

On that note, does anyone want to be my out-of-shape-gym-mate?  Oh, I forgot again!  No one lives here!

Anyway, friends, I am once again learning the hard way that I am not a fan  of short stories.  There is nothing really wrong with Elizabeth Berg's stories in the current book.  I just... ehh...  I just can't get attached to characters in stories that are only 10 pages long.  Some are more.  Probably most.  But since I typically read one story per sitting, I start afresh each time I sit down to read and that does not motivate me to read.  I would rather keep plowing through, getting to know my characters and surroundings and loving or hating them.  *Sigh.  I hope you understand.

Sooo... I will finish the book, okay?  I will.  But in the meantime, I need something to sink my teeth into.  I have let you choose the last two books, and one of you has been outvoted twice, so we are going to read something she would like to read next (after The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted, but I need a novel to supplement, so there you are).  So, here are your choices.  Missy wanted to read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd during the first vote and The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin on the second vote.

Which would you rather read next? 

3 comments:

Missy said...

I vote Stepford Wives! I am in the mood for some suspense. :)

Unknown said...

Stepford Wives gets my vote too! I did request it through inter-library loan several weeks ago but I haven't been notified that it has arrived. I looked for the The Day I Ate...and ate and ate (that would have been my title...) but it wasn't available. I do like short stories. Maybe I'll have to borrow your copy!

Loralee Violet said...

Mom, you can have my copy of The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted for keeps when I am through with it. I don't think I will be rereading it. Again, not that it's bad, just that I'm not in to short stories.

Post a Comment